|The Best Known American in Turkey: Betty Carp|
This book is about the life of Betty Carp, a diminutive lady who had the reputation of being "the best known American in Turkey". Betty Carp started her career as a telephonist and typewritist at the American Embassy in Constantinople in 1914 hired by Henry Morgenthau, the American Ambassador at that time. She retired in 1964 after 50 years of service as an Attaché and Political Officer. During World War II years she worked for the Office of Strategic Services, the precursor of CIA with Allen W. Dulles that she met and admired during his assignment in Constantinople in the years 1921-1922.
Betty Carp was also deeply involved in charity work and the American Hospital in Istanbul where she contributed by raising money for the Hospital. This book covers her life as well as her correspondence with various friends and ambassadors and bring into the light the life and works of an extraordinary woman, unknown so far.
Chapter One: Lıfe Of Betty Carp
1) Henry Morgenthau (1856-1946). United States Ambassador in Constantinople (1913-1916).
2) James Srodes, Author of Allen Dulles: Master of Spies, Recounts Allen Dulles (1893-1969) Stay in Constantinople
3) Joseph C. Grew (1880-1965). United States Ambassador in Ankara (1927-1932)
4) Elizabeth Peet McIntosh (1915-). Former member of OSS
5) Sally Swift, Reporter of The Washington Post
6) Naomi Matthews. Spouse of Elbert G. Matthews (1910-1977). United States Consul General in Istanbul, 1951-1952.
7) Elizabeth Lewis Cabot (1906-1992). Spouse of Ambassador John Moors Cabot, (1901-1981).
8) Willie Snow Ethridge (1900-1982). Author, Lecturer
9) Lyn Holmes Waters
10) Gamze Türen
11) Demet Öğleni
12) Prof. Oya Başak
13) John E. Merriam. Retired Foreign Service Officer. United States Consulate General, Istanbul, Head of Political Section, 1962-1964.
14) Duane R. Clarridge (1932- ). Former CIA Officer
15) Baroness Garnett Stackelberg (1910-2005)
16) Prof. Frances Trix - Anthropology Department - Indiana University
17) James W. Spain (1926-2008). United States Consul General in Istanbul, 1970-1972.
18) Thomas J. Carolan (1934- ). United States Consul General in Istanbul, 1988-1992.
19) Dr. David Cameron Cuthell Jr. (1953- )
20) Jake Eddy
21) Nezihe Şahinoğlu (1936 - )
22) Documents Concerning Betty Carp's Retirement from the Foreign Service
a) Superior Service Award Given To Betty Carp
b) "Betty Carp Acclaimed As "Living Legend"
c) Dorothy McCardle - "So What's The Status of Women In State? - All Up to Them, Says Aide"
23) Attorney Erol Uzsoy (1947 - )
1) American Hospital of Istanbul, Inc. Announcement
2) Obituary Published in State Magazine
3) Obituaries Published in The New York Times
4) American Hospital of Istanbul, Inc. Announcement
5) Order of Funeral Service
6) Letter of Phyliss Macomber, Spouse of Ambassador William Macomber (1921-2003)
7) Letter of American Board of Istanbul
8) Letter of American Consulate General of Istanbul
9) Anonymous Report On The Funeral
10) Letters of Robert Douglas Coe (1902-1985) to Dr. Warren Winkler
11) Circular Letter of American Hospital of Istanbul on Betty Carp Endowment Fund
12) Letter of American Hospital of Istanbul to Rebecca Latimer
13) Letter of Elizabeth Clarke to Dr. Warren Winkler
Chapter Two: Correspondance Of Betty Carp
|< Önceki||Sonraki >|